How Long Does SEO Take to Work For Your Website
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the most crucial things to consider in your digital marketing strategy. As per the latest statistics, 61% of marketers are of the view that SEO is the key to online success.
For those new to the term, SEO is the process of improving your website to boost its visibility when individuals search for services or products related to your business in search engines such as Bing, Google, etc.
As SEO is something people spend a lot of their time on, they are often left thinking – how long does SEO take to work for a website?
After all, we all want to see positive results from our SEO efforts, as quickly as possible.
So, does it take a couple of days, months, or years for SEO to work? Well, there is no one answer to this question. SEO is a long process; it doesn’t happen overnight. Plus, various factors impact the results you get from your SEO efforts.
But still, we can tell you an estimated amount of time it will take to notice good results from your SEO efforts.
SEO, if done right, can take at least 6 months to start working. To see positive gains from your SEO strategies, 6-12 months is considered an ideal time frame.
Want to know more on the subject? Keep reading!
Why Does It Take So Long for SEO to Work?
Before discussing how long it takes to see good results from your SEO efforts, let’s first look at why SEO takes so long to show results.
We all are well aware of the fact that Google updates and improves its search algorithms pretty consistently. Also, it has constantly worked to optimize algorithms so they can no longer be tricked with shortcuts, such as keyword stuffing. It even keeps on improving the search engine’s functionality.
Owing to all of this, it has become more challenging to rank. And as a result of this, SEO takes a long time to show results.
Keeping all of this in mind, here’s what we recommend you do when it comes to SEO.
You need to think of SEO as an investment that demands consistent work and maintenance. This is the only way you will notice sustainable growth in results.
How Long Does SEO Take To Produce Results?
Now, coming to the more important question that both digital marketers and business owners commonly ask:
How long for SEO to take effect and show results for a website?
As we mentioned, a lot of factors impact the results you get from SEO efforts. If you are working with an experienced digital marketing agency, you can expect to see results within the first 6 months. But if you are working with a newbie, you would have to wait longer.
Note: Some websites even get results within 3-4 months!
How to Tell if SEO Is Working the Right Way?
Fortunately, there are some ways to check if your SEO is working. You can use a variety of tools to understand your rankings and check for areas of improvement:
- Keyword research tools
- SEO plugins
- Link building tools
- On-page SEO tools
- SEO software platforms
- Technical SEO tools
The Key Metrics of SEO
When you use the tools we talked about above, you will come across certain metrics. Here’s what these metrics mean:
1. Clicks: The count of times a user has clicked on your content, links, or ads.
2. Impressions: The count of times a user has seen your content, links, or ads.
3. Organic Traffic: The traffic that comes to your site via a search engine after a search query is inputted.
4. The Number of Backlinks: The links from outside domains which point to web pages on your domain are called backlinks.
5. Domain Authority: The relevance of your site for certain industries or subject areas.
6. Referrals from Other Sites: The traffic coming on your site from links on other sources/web pages.
7. The Number of Ranking Pages: The total number of pages on your website that currently rank high on search results.
8. Conversions: The number of actions site visitors take on your website. Examples of such actions include – adding email id to a mailing list, filling out a form, or simply clicking on a link.
9. Brand Mentions: References from other sources or sites that mention your brand, services, products, or company in a direct manner.
10. Page Authority: The relevance of a site page for certain industries or subject areas.
What Are the Expected Results From SEO?
This is another commonly asked question. But again, there is no fixed answer. The kind of results you can expect from SEO and how soon you notice them depends from project to project.
Tip: These questions help in determining the results you are likely to see from SEO:
- How search engine friendly or optimized your site is already?
- How competitive is the market?
- What is the type of optimization you plan to carry out or are currently carrying out?
Note: Some of the reasons you may not be seeing results include:
- You produced substandard content.
- You optimized your content more than it was required.
- You tried a few things here and there and didn’t have a strategy at all.
- You worked hard for some weeks and then just waited for quick results.
9 Things Your SEO Strategy Needs to Succeed
An SEO strategy is a comprehensive plan to increase the search engine rankings of a site in order to get more organic traffic. If you want to know what you should do to succeed in your SEO strategy, then read on:
1. Know Your Audience
Your content will gain trust and authority if you write for your audience. This means, you need to know and understand your audience. Here are some tips that will help you know your audience better:
- Create buyer personas
- Define your value proposition
- Learn how your offerings benefit your audience
- Learn from your competitors
- Check if you are targeting a national or a local audience
- Take the help of analytics to learn about your traffic and demographics
2. Use Keyword-Rich Phrases
Today, implementing SEO “hacks” such as keyword stuffing in your content doesn’t signal algorithms that your content is of quality. However, you can still incorporate keyword-rich phrases in your content to grab the attention of search engines the right way.
3. Create Impactful Headlines
You can see your rankings soar if you dedicate time and effort to creating headlines that pack a powerful punch. Headlines that are catchy and possess the relevant keywords are the ones that are more likely to rank high.
4. Take Care of Website Issues & Optimize for Mobile Devices
If you notice that people are not finding your site, check the technical SEO aspects of it. One of these aspects includes mobile optimization. This means, apart from desktop, your website should be optimized for mobile browsing as well.
5. Know the Content Types That Rank Well
Ensure you create content keeping these two things in mind — the intent of your site and what your users want.
Here are the types of content you can create:
- Product listings
- Repurposed content
- Long-form content
- Direct answers
- Video and image carousels
- Tools and widgets
6. Add Images
You should add images to your content to:
- Let the search algorithms know that your content has relevancy regarding your target audience’s search intent, and
- Communicate information visually to your audience.
Tip: Learn how to optimize images for better search results in 2022.
Note: When you incorporate images in your posts, ensure you do the technical SEO on the backend, such as sourcing and alt-text, to rank higher on search engines.
7. Get More Reviews
Today, more and more individuals are reading reviews before they decide to purchase the offerings of a business. As per the latest statistics, 93% of consumers read online reviews before going for a purchase.
An increase in reviews for your business means an increase in ranking for you.
You can always contact your past or current customers to get more reviews to help your new customers trust you.
8. Structure Your Posts Carefully
The layouts and structures of your posts play a huge role in SEO rankings.
Hence, always structure your posts with the best practices. We recommend that you format your posts with things such as:
- Short paragraphs of text
- Numbered lists
- Important Keywords
- Bullet lists
- Related Links
9. Add Interactive Elements
You can also consider adding interactive elements to your site pages. Examples of interactive content include calculators, quizzes, interactive ebooks, and polls. Such elements help readers thoroughly engage with your content.
Wrapping It Up
If you want to know how long it takes for SEO to take effect and give results – it can take at least 6 months to start working (if done right!).
In order to get large gains from SEO, we recommend that you be consistent with it. You need to understand that SEO is something that gives long-term results. And hence, you need to do it just right to achieve success from it.
In case you are looking for short-term gains, you can always concentrate on other digital marketing disciplines like social advertising and paid search.
Now, start optimizing and trust the process!